Moong Dhal, or yellow split peas is a legume that is rich in protein and low in fat which makes it an excellent ingredient to use in snacks.
Health benefits of this mighty pea include:
- Improves heart health
- Lowers cholestorel
- Regulates sugar levels
- Reduces cancer risks
- Promotes weight control
Here is our recipe for a tasty tea time treat, an Indian recipe for Moong Dhal Vada.
You will need:
1 cup of yellow split peas https://frescograno.com/shop/pantry-staples/yellow-split-pea/
1 small red onion (chopped)
1 red chili (chopped)
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
A pinch of salt
- Soak the yellow split peas for at least 3 hours to soften. This allows for a nice soft texture for your vada.
- Discard the water the peas were soaked in, then put the peas and cumin seeds in a jar blander and blend until you get a rough wet sand like texture. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Your mixture should resemble the below picture:
3. Heat oil in non-stick pan.
4. Wet hands with water to make handling the mixture easier, then scoop some onto your palm and used fingers to flatten slightly into a rough disk shape and drop gently in the hot oil. Repeat this for a few more vadas, taking care not to overcrowd the pan.
5.Flip the vadas to check that the colour is golden brown, and transfer to a kitchen towel.
6. Serve hot with a glass of mango lassi or tea and enjoy!